Skip to main content

The Story Continues

After a very good impression during the first few days the excitement didn't end but continued throughout my stay.
If the town kept records then my name will go down in the history books as the second black and first African to step foot in this town. The town has one black American who lives here and almost everybody knows him as the only black person. Everybody wants the chance to talk to him.

The Supermarket
Firstly when i arrived i went to the supermarket to get some water and juice. This is the only town  I've been where I've been treated with royalty as i will put it. They treat you in such a way that you feel important and cherished.
What happened as that a cashier who had closed saw me and my cousin approaching to pay for the drinks, we joined the other queue which was working. The cashier who had just closed called us to come there. We paid for stuff and she closed again. Really loved it. It was like getting a VIP treatment. Maybe she also wanted the chance to talk to serve the only Africans in town.
On the third day too, i went to a small supermarket with my Ukrainian friends, everybody who walked into the store was just smiling and saying hi. One funny thing was that a not so very sober old man entered and upon seeing me started talking to me and even offered to buy me vodka. I just laughed and thanked him for the offer.

At The Church
Ok, so definitely I went to church, the main reason why I even came here was for a church program. The program started on the friday and ended on sunday.
Friday's program was at the park, we got there early enough to roam about a bit before the service began. We couldn't find anything to do at the park. It was kinda boring there :-( . So we decided to walk around the town till it was time for the program to commence.
We went to the best cafe in town also belonging to a christian. I couldn't really find anything on the menu mainly because it was in Russian and also because I'm not really a fan of cafés.  So I ordered what I was familiar with "expresso" (Expresso in summer...... lol). All my other friends ordered ice creams and my cousin too ordered chocolate drink. I was very disappointed at the size of the cup(even a little child could've drank it in one gulp). They all enjoyed their ice creams as I forced myself to drink this hot coffee in this hot weather. Never will I order myself whiles there are people there to help... or better still use the phrase I will like to have what he/she is having.
We got back to the park still early enough to catch some performances before the main program. I was just talking and making new friends. Everybody wanted to talk, know more about me, get my contact, take photographs etc... it was a fun time. The main programme was also a blast. I loved the energy in the songs and also their dance which was pretty easy for me who didn't know how to dance. All I had to do was jump to the beat that's was it. No shaking of your body or complex moves all you need to do was to jump.
On the Saturday I went for the youth service which was also energy packed and the same story continues made new friends, took a lot of photos etc. They also wanted to know more about Ghana,  so I just googled it and showed them nice places in Ghana. They were very intrigued. Some thought that we only lived in huts and there were wild animals running all over. But I cleared that their thoughts.  And after talking to them, they were very surprised and some added Ghana to the countries they must visit. Others too knew about the Ghana black stars and some famous players like Essien and K. P Boateng.
Sunday too was a normal service. I had the opportunity to meet the parents of my new found friends and they were very happy to see me and wondered why I travelled all the way from Africa to Ukraine. I had to answer this question to almost all the parents I came across.

The Walk Of My Life
Before I even talk about this, I'm a fan of small settlements and countryside lifestyle. I loved the way everyone knew themselves and also how they forged bonds between their families through marriage. They lived a simple life but they were very happy. Having money or being excessively rich doesn't guarantee a happy life but the love of God and the people around does. I really loved Svetlovodsk. I just have to say. I'm in love with the town. Not the buildings in the town or the social amenities here, No! But the people, their hospitality and love. You hardly find places in the world were people with colour are treated with royalty by the whites.
Since I hadn't been to the riverside since my arrival, we went there. We walked all the way there. I'm not good with distances but we walked for over 3 hours. It wasn't tiring and I didn't notice the time passing because of the fun time I was having. Almost the whole youth of the church accompanied us and one couple with their children joined us. We started the walk as 3 people we were later joined by other people to make 6 then 10 then 15 then 20 then 25..... it was a very fun time.  I got the chance to talk to lots of people about Africa and in my own little way I think I improved tourism in Africa( hahahaha). We visited the dam then walked across the whole length of the river bank. It was very exciting. I must say I hadn't had such fun like this in a very long time. And also hadn't walked for such a long distance like this. We called it the walk of a lifetime but to them it was just another day of walking.
I had lots of fun, I wish I could write all about them but I can't write mostly because of laziness I guess and I don't think most people will like to read a long article.
Lessons learnt from this trip is that The love of God really changes people. And the bible is true by saying that when we are in Christ we are a new creation, old things....... I believe that the people of svetlovodsk are nice people not because of their location or their size or because they hardly see foreigners but because of the love they have for Christ which has transformed their thoughts and made them new creatures and distinct from other people living in other parts of ukraine. I have to say it again I really enjoyed myself and I will surely come back again.
I wish to use this platform to say a big thank you to all who made me and my cousin's stay a memorable one. Special thanks to Polina Kodak, Alina klimenko, Mashka Klimenko, Katyushka(Katya), Ilya Yarmil, Alina Balym, Dasha Karas, the kodak family, Nadya, Olya, Lera(she made me enjoy her bicycle) etc just to mention but a few.
A very very special thanks to my only family in Ukraine Nana Asante who made this trip possible. God richly bless you.
Thank you to whoever is reading this and next time you're planning your summer you can add Svetlovodsk to your list. Have a wonderful time.
God richly bless you.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Just In An Unjust World

I am living in an unjust world, Where money is the root of all success. Where friendship turns to enmity. We live in an unjust world, Where people cheat their way to Success Where love is nothing but just a word. I am Just in an Unjust world, The light in a dark world, but cannot illuminate Darkness is hailed and light trembled upon. The best is the one who cheats best and the worst the one who cheats worst. There is no place for me in this world, for I am an alien. Just in an Unjust world. Gone were the days, When integrity was the hallmark of the success, When the price was hardwork and the prize success. My faith is in The Just God, Who promises eternity for the Just. I look forward to the day when I will be accepted, But for now I am nothing but an alien, There is no place for me here, heaven is my home. Heaven has a place for The Just. I look forward to day I can say, I am Just in A Just World, But until then I will hold my peace, For

The Thin Line Between Love And Hatred

LET’S TALK ABOUT LOVE L ove is a beautiful thing. To love and be loved is one of the best things that can happen to anyone in life. Over the years, I’ve learnt how to love people without any conditions attached. My simplest definition for love is, “an action word”. Love isn’t something we feel, it’s what we do based on the feeling we have towards another person. The word “Love” over the years has become one of the most abused words in the English language to the extent that it has lost its power and effect. When we have affection for someone, we show it by our actions not only by words, as said in Latin, "Facta Non Verba." The Bible tells us to Love our neighbours as ourselves. In other words, don’t do to another what you wouldn’t want someone to do to you. It sounds simple but not an easy task. HATRED Is hatred the absence of love?  Or is it the presence of something opposite to love? I find it difficult to understand why people can hate each other. I may